Man escapes uninjured after chip pan fire in Pixton Way, Selsdon

Croydon Guardian: Man escapes uninjured after chip pan fire Man escapes uninjured after chip pan fire

A man was lucky to escape uninjured after a chip pan fire in his flat last night.

Firefighters from New Addington fire station were called the block in Pixton Way, Selsdon at 10.40pm.

Crews in breathing apparatus were able to get into the flat quickly and extinguish the fire.

It is understood the occupant, who fell asleep cooking, had a smoke alarm in his property but the battery had been removed.

He escaped the flat before the firefighters arrived, but was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.

Watch Manager Tony Weeks said: "It is all very well having a smoke alarm but make sure it is working.

"It was the communal alarm that went off, the chap was very lucky. Had his smoke alarm been working he would have been alerted earlier.

"We do home fire safety visits free of charge where we give advice and make sure there are working smoke alarms, this chap hadn't been visited."

To book a home fire safety visit ring 0800 284 428 or visit london-fire.gov.uk

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree