Sutton's lead at the top is cut to five after shock draw at league whipping boys

On the scoresheet: It proved a frustrating day for Charlie Purvis and his Sutton & Epsom team-mates    SP59571

On the scoresheet: It proved a frustrating day for Charlie Purvis and his Sutton & Epsom team-mates SP59571

First published in Sport by

Sutton & Epsom's lead at the top of London Division Two South West has been eroded to five points after a surprise 15-15 draw at bottom club Camberley.

And they could therorectically be knocked off top spot if they lose to second-place Chobham this weekend - this in spite of being eight points clear at the turn of the year.

When Sutton hosted Camberley in September they ran out 72-7 winners, however, tries from Joe Ridgely and Charlie Purvis, and five points from Frankie Murray were not enough to even claim a win at Camberley last weekend.

Sutton started strongly and attacked their hosts's line from the kick off, however, with a strong defence and the referee's close call of in-touch when number eight Matt Whittaker crossed the Camberley line, it was still 0-0 after 20 minutes.

Sutton were dealth a big blow when prop Gary Nash broke his leg and the game was suspended for 25 minutes while the injury was dealt with.

On its resumption, Sutton continued to pressurise and with half time approaching, Joe Ridgely scored at try aided by a driving maul by the Sutton pack - the conversion was successful, which saw Sutton leading 7-0 at half time.

After the break, it was Camberley who used the ball to greater effect. This culminated in the home team scoring two unconverted tries without reply.

Sutton responded strongly with 10 minutes of pressure on the Camberley line, and after a sustained attack through the Sutton forwards, space was created on the left for winger, Charlie Purvis, to score an unconverted try close to the touchline.

The lead was extended to 15-10 through Murray's penalty, however, Camberley rallied and, using the ball wisely, they ran a strong move along their backs which allowed them to break through the Sutton defence.

The move was finished off by the Camberley number 11, and the conversion was missed leaving the scores level with five minutes to go.

Thereafter, neither side was able to put together a concerted attack and as the light started to fade the referee blew for full time.


Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree