Brentford failed to find a way past Shrewsbury Town as the sides played out a goal-less draw at Griffin Park on Tuesday night.

The game's major talking points occurred within a couple of minutes during the final quarter when the referee reversed a decision to award Shrewsbury a penalty before Brentford had a goal ruled out for offside.
Neither side threatened early on as they played out an uneventful opening quarter of an hour.

Jonathan Douglas – scorer of a late equaliser on Saturday – couldn't find the net when he scuffed a shot at the back post after a low free kick from Adam Forshaw.

Clayton Donaldson was then played into space down the right following a good early ball from Forshaw, but his shot was blocked by a defender as he raced into the box.

At the other end a good cross from the left was met at the front post by Terry Gornell, but Simon Moore made a good save to push the ball behind.
Donaldson had another half chance when Jake Bidwell crossed from the left, with the Bees striker flicking his chance over the bar.

Early in the second half Shaleum Logan and Forshaw combined well down the right, setting up Donaldson once again, but he shot over the bar.
The pivotal moments came when referee Tim Robinson at first awarded a penalty to Shrewsbury following an apparent hand ball by Tony Craig inside his own box, before consulting with his assistant and reversing his decision.

Minutes later at the other end substitute Paul Hayes looked to have headed the Bees in front, but his effort was ruled offside.

Marvin Morgan then broke down the right, with his low cross blocked at the near post by Leon Legge.

Brentford's goal was again under threat when the defence failed to properly clear the ball and Gornell saw his shot strike the post.

Donaldson hit the side-netting in the closing stages as the Bees had to settle for a frustrating draw.

Brentford: Moore, Logan, Craig, Legge, Bidwell; Forshaw (sub Fredricks 80), Aeyemi, Douglas, O'Connor (sub Forrester 56); El Alagui (sub Hayes 64), Donaldson

Subs (not used): Lee, Dean, Dallas, Diagouraga

Attendance: 4384

Man of the Match: Kevin O'Connor