By John Ashton

Sutton’s pace and handling skills were just too good for Guildford in Saturday's one-sided London Division 2 South West at Broadwater.

A final score of 46-14 in faviour of the visitors was fully justified and also means Sutton have started the season with back-to-back wins.

This is an entirely different Sutton team from last season, some new faces but it is the entire attitude of the side which impresses. 

The team work for each other and are never short of leadership. Captain Matt Whitaker as always lead from the front but in No 8, Shawn Renwick, and lock Mike Blakeburn, he has plenty of support. 

It was Blakeburn who set up Sutton’s opening try with a magnificent take at the kick off. He made ground down the left before the ball was spread wide and Sutton’s speedy centre Andy Nichols went in under the posts. Wing Steve Warnham converted.

Nichols scored again a few minutes later when wing Cartledge collected a ball inches in from touch passed inside for Nichols to go in next to posts. 

Again Warnham converted and shortly after kicked a penalty for Sutton to lead 0-17 after only 15 minutes.

Next it was a forwards turn to get in on the act, a poor lineout throw from Sutton saw Guildford slap the ball back, Sutton’s prop Will Lloyd burst through, scooped up the ball and ran in 35 metres to score at the corner carrying two Guildford defenders with him. The conversion dropped just short.

Sutton’s last score in the first half was a brilliant break out of defence by full back Ian Knott who smashed his way through the Guildford defence to  score to the left of posts. 

Warnham converted and at half time Sutton led 0-29.

Almost immediately after kick off Blakeburn set up Cartledge who outpaced Guildford’s defence to go over to right of posts.

Sutton went further ahead soon after when Warnham broke down the left and passed inside to Knott to touch down wide on left.

After this a series of penalties given away by Sutton allowed Guildford to develop an overlap close to Sutton’s line and wing Jonjo Conway touched down for the home side’s first points. Guildford’s captain centre Jarrod Adam converted.

Sutton had by now suffered a number of injuries and emptied their bench allowing Guildford to apply pressure but an interception by Cartledge on Sutton’s 10 metres line saw him run in unopposed under the posts.

Guildford refused to surrender and scrum half Matt Shea went through a gap to score under to posts. Adam converted.

On Saturday Sutton are at home to Camberley kick off 3pm at Rugby Lane, Cheam.