For a family to see their business and home destroyed by fire at any time is devastating.

Not least in the lead up to Christmas.

But that's exactly what happened to the owners of the Peking Inn yesterday (November 27).

A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade said: "Most of the ground floor, part of the first floor and all of the ducting from the ground to the first floor were destroyed in the fire.

One man was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation before being taken to hospital.

Since the fire, dozens of people have expressed just how much the business means to the community on the facebook group New Addington Pathfinders.

"Absolutely devastated to see this, I have known them for years and I really hope they are ok, best chip shop up here," Lesley Parnell wrote.

"We wish them all well such sad news for New Addington," Jackie Isted said.

"Such a great fish and chips shop, we hope they're back in business soon.

"They're not just a fish and chips shop they are like part of our family."

Colette Bashford wrote: "So sorry to hear that the staff have had to experience this especially at this time of the year.

"Hope somehow the business can continue and that no one has been hurt. Best Chinese food and lovely friendly staff."